01 Read unfamiliar words.
• Recognize high frequency and sight words with affixes.
• Analyze words containing vowel combinations and consonant clusters.
• Demonstrate the ability to phonetically decode unfamiliar words.
02 Read grade-level materials fluently.
• Demonstrate the ability to read aloud sight words and high frequency words without decoding.
• Demonstrate the ability to read text without major pronunciation errors.
03 Use variety of strategies to develop vocabulary.
• Identify and use synonyms and antonyms.
• Recognize the meanings of affixes.
• Identify and use multiple-meaning words.
• Recognize the meaning of an unknown word by using its relationship to context clues.
04 Summarize a story using the literary elements.
• Identify character, problem, setting, and solutions.
• Infer character’s feeling on the basis of a character’s words or actions.
• Summarize the main idea of a story.
• Infer the setting of a story using story clues.
• Create a story map.
05 Read and comprehend fiction and nonfiction texts to demonstrate understanding.
• Differentiate between realism and fantasy in text.
• Supply answers to factual questions about who, what, when, where, and why.
• Make a reasonable prediction based on information from the story.
• Arrange events of a story into sequential order.
• Identify cause/effect relationships.
• Demonstrate the ability to infer/draw conclusions.
• Retell a story in own words.
• Identify the main idea and supporting details in a paragraph.
• Select a sentence summarizing the main idea of a story.
• Organize or classify details by completing a semantic map.
• Distinguish facts from author’s opinion.
06 Use resources to locate appropriate information.
• Locate information in an index or a table of contents.
• Find the meaning of an unknown word in a glossary or dictionary.
• Evaluate the most valuable resource for locating information.
• Use a title page to identify title, author, and illustrator.
07 Self-select and independently read fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.
• Select books at an appropriate level using “Rule of Thumb”.
• Record books read on a book log.
08 Apply the rules of grammar, usage, punctuation, and spelling in various forms of writing.
• Understand the rules of grammar, punctuation, and spelling in various forms of writing.
• Analyze the use of conventions in personal writing.
09 Use the writing process (pre-write, write, revise/edit, rewrite, publish) to communicate.
• Understand the writing process.
• Understand and apply the 6 traits of effective writing.
• Produce narrative and descriptive writings.
10 Present information orally demonstrating consideration of audience and purpose.
• Deliver a 1-2 minute oral presentation using complete sentences, an audible voice, and a reasonable rate of speaking.
• Maintain eye contact, correct posture, and audience attention throughout the presentations.
11 Gain information and complete tasks through listening.
• Visualize important information while listening.
• Respond to direction and questions based on what was heard.
12 Demonstrate an understanding of cultural heritages and identify contributions.
• Demonstrate respect for various cultures.
• Recognize contributions of various cultures.