01 Orally segment and blend words.
• Listen to individual sounds and blend them into a word.
• Listen to a word and segment into individual sounds.
02 Use letter sound relationships and common word patterns to recognize words.
• Demonstrate the ability to decode words using the initial, final, and medial consonants.
• Demonstrate the ability to decode words using short and long vowel sounds.
• Demonstrate the ability to decode words using initial consonant clusters and consonant digraphs.
03 Read grade-level materials fluently.
04 Read high frequency words.
• Demonstrate the ability to recognize high frequency words.
05 Use a variety of strategies to develop vocabulary.
• Demonstrate the ability to recognize word families to decode words.
06 Read and comprehend fiction and nonfiction texts to demonstrate understanding.
• Demonstrate the ability to retell a story using the main idea and details in sequential order.
• Demonstrate the ability to predict what will happen next.
• Demonstrate the ability to recognize reality and fantasy.
07 Summarize a story using literary elements.
• Demonstrate the ability to recognize the character(s), setting, problem, and solution of a story.
08 Self-select and independently read fiction and nonfiction materials.
• Select books at an appropriate level using “Rule of Thumb”.
09 Write the key elements of a story.
• Demonstrate the ability to write the beginning, middle, and end of a story.
10 Use the writing process (pre-write, write, revise/edit, rewrite, publish) to communicate.
11 Write legibly using standard manuscript letter formations.
• Write using correct letter formations for upper and lower case letters.
• Write using appropriate spacing between letters and words.
12 Speak in clear, complete, coherent sentences using standard English.
• Use standard English and complete sentences to relate personal experiences.
• Speak clearly using appropriate volume, rate, and expression.
13 Gain information and complete tasks through listening.
• Listen and recall specific details.
• Use information gained through listening to complete tasks.
14 Explore likenesses and differences of various cultures and customs.
• Recognize contributions of various cultures.
• Recognize similarities and differences among various cultures.
• Demonstrate respect for various cultures.